Since the time of the first European explorers the diversity of African wildlife has held great wonder for all who visited. Africa is after all home to more than 1100 mammals. These include some impressive groups and animals:
- The Big five. That well know target list of Animals for any safari. Firstly the Lion. Continuing with then the Leopard, Elephant, Rhino. The Buffalo completes the five.
- The Elephant as the largest land mammal.
- The A and Z of best known African Wildlife. Firstly the Aardvark and last the Zebra.
- The Cheetah as the fastest land animal. Because it can reach bursts of up to 70 mph.
- The Gorilla which is the worlds largest primate. Males for example can reach weights of up to 200 kg.
- The world largest beetle. Specifically the Goliath Beetle.
These are just some examples of what makes Africa so fascinating. There are of course many more reasons to visit Africa.
Our Photo Galleries of African Wildlife. These have been taken during travels and Safaris to Africa. Including trips to Kenya, Tanzania and The Gambia.
Kenya and Tanzania provide spectacular opportunities for African wildlife sightings. The Wildebeest migration being above all the most notable.